Prison Officer vetting 101

This blog provides potential applicants to the prison service with real-life stories from prison staff, and useful information on the recruitment process.

We’re incredibly pleased that within the first few months of the blog’s launch, we’ve received over 150 comments. However, this also showed us that there’s a need to answer some commonly asked questions, mostly around vetting.

HMPPS pre-employment checks (vetting) on average can take around 12 weeks to complete. We know that’s not short, and many applicants have a lot of questions about what happens in the meantime.

Therefore, this blog post will contain all the information we’re able to provide on vetting in one place. We may update this blog post depending on how many further queries we receive on vetting.

How long does vetting take?

Due to the extensive nature of security and pre-employment checks we need to make for someone to become a prison officer, vetting can take on average 12 weeks to complete.

We do have processes in place to ensure that vetting is prioritised for prisons that are short staffed. So, vetting for those prisons may take less than 12 weeks as long there are no other delays (more information on possible delays below).

When does vetting start?

Vetting starts after you’ve:

• passed your Recruitment Assessment Day (RAD) and provided your correct identity documents
  • been given a provisional offer of employment (as opposed to being held on a merit list)
  • accepted your provisional offer of employment
  • submitted your online pre-employment onboarding forms

What is the 'merit list'?

It’s effectively a waiting list for a job vacancy. You may be placed on a merit list (also known as a reserve list) if the prison you've applied to has a high-level of competition or limited vacancies. The list is ordered based on performance at the RAD. So, you may not be guaranteed an offer even if you've passed your RAD, and vetting won’t take place until you’ve been offered a job (as detailed above).

You’ll remain on the merit list for up to 12 months after the date you passed your RAD, as this is how long your RAD accreditation lasts. It’s worth bearing in mind that you only need to have been offered a job within those 12 months before your accreditation expires - you don’t need to actually be in post.

How can I avoid delays with vetting?

1) Bring the correct and complete documents with you to your RAD

Incomplete or incorrect documentation is a common cause that delays vetting, so make sure you follow the documentation instructions carefully.

If you don’t bring your correct or complete documents to the RAD, your application won’t automatically progress onto the vetting stage and instead you’ll need to bring your documents into the prison you’ve applied to and get them validated, which naturally causes delays.

You’ll receive email and text communications 48 hours prior to your RAD to remind you what documents you need to bring. You’ll also be sent a copy of the Pre-employment Screening Guidance.

2) Complete your documentation correctly and as soon as possible

When you’re requested for information, make sure you respond as quickly as possible. The sooner you correctly complete your forms, the sooner the vetting team can start the pre-employment checks.

3) Get in touch with the Vetting Action Team

If you’re unsure about what documents are acceptable or have any other questions, the Vetting Action Team will be able to help - their details will be provided in an email to you.

What happens after vetting?

Once your pre-employment checks have been completed, you’ll be contacted by a member of the HMPPS recruitment team with a verbal offer of employment which you’ll need to either accept or decline verbally. They’ll agree your start date with you and book you onto your Prison Officer Entry Level Training.

You’ll then receive your formal written offer of employment, containing you contract and terms and conditions, which you can then accept online.

How do I tell when I've passed vetting?

You'll be able to tell if you've passed vetting by logging into your online applicant portal and seeing if your status has been updated to say that pre-employment checks have been successfully completed.

I'm worried about how long it's taking for my vetting to complete. Who can I talk to?

As mentioned, vetting can take around 12 weeks to complete so don’t be too worried if you’re approaching this timescale as this is normal.

However, if you’ve been waiting longer than this time you can get in touch with the Vetting Contact Point (VCP) at the prison you’ve been allocated to. You need to ring through the main prison number and ask to be put through to the VCP, or alternatively the People Hub.

However, it’s important to note that you can only request an update if you’ve been in pre-employment checks for more than 6 weeks. If you phone earlier, they won’t be able to provide you with an update.

I already have Security Clearance from my current/previous job. Will this help to speed up the vetting process?

This depends on which prison establishment you’ve applied to. If you’ve applied to a Youth Estate or a High Security (Category A) prison which requires a Counter Terrorist Check (CTC) or Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks, then yes it can help to speed things up for those checks if you’ve already had them done.

You should provide details of these checks on the pre-employment onboarding forms.

However, we’re not able to use these in place of the standard pre-employment checks around health, employment history and criminal convictions etc. These checks would still need to be completed, and vetting on average can take around 12 weeks.

Do you contact my existing or previous employers for references during vetting?

We don’t necessarily need to contact your existing or previous employers for references during the vetting process. Our employment references are done via the HMRC process, which involves checking your declared employment details against the HMRC system to see if you are/were paying NI and tax during the corresponding dates in your employment history.

If we're not able to confirm this via this route, we would then approach your existing/previous employers for full references.

When should I resign from my current job?

We always recommend you don’t hand in your notice with your current employer until you’ve received confirmation that all pre-employment checks have been completed and you’ve been approached to discuss a start date. We will happily work around a candidate's notice period when organising a start/training date.

If you have more queries about the stages in the recruitment process, you can find a summary of the candidate journey on the Prison Officer Recruitment Portal.

You can also find out more information on the prison and probation jobs website.

157 comments

1. Comment by Callum posted on

Hello there,

What if you move/ want to move during the vetting process?
    Additionally, will starting a new (temporary) job have any impact on the vetting process?

Thank you.

• Replies to Callum>

Hi Callum,

If you’re moving jobs or house you’ll need to provide the vetting contact point (VCP) with your up-to-date details, including your ID and address documents, so that they can be verified. To get in touch with the VCP, please call the prison you’ve applied to and ask to be put through to the VCP or People Hub.

2. Comment by Damian posted on

Hello. Which prison can give me job first? There is two prisons. One is who have merit list campaign. Secound This is a PASS CAMPAIGN for prison officers.

I am on merit list for this first prison. Can I apply for this secound and I will pass another RAD. Is this keep me on the list for first prison and give me chance get quicker job in secound?

• Replies to Damian>

Comment by Emily posted on

Hi Damian,

You are able to apply to as many prisons as you like, but you can only take forward one application. For example, if you are given an offer for multiple prisons you will need to choose one prison and reject the others.

In your instance, as you're on the merit list for one prison, you're still able to apply to others and if you pass the online test for each prison you've applied to, you'll be able to transfer your existing RAD accreditation if you wish (you only need to take one RAD) to the new application.

Please contact the Recruitment Contact Centre on 0845 241 5358 to discuss your application further.

3. Comment by Tom posted on

Hi,
    My steria profile has changed from " undergoing vetting" to " we will contact you shortly with the next stage" is this stage booking POELT? How long does it usually take for the PS to get in touch and offer a start date?
    - Thanks in advance, Tom

4. Comment by taylor posted on

Hi,

My application says..
    Its been like this for a while now, what does this mean?

5. Comment by Rebecca posted on

Hi, I’ve just passed my RAD and have received an email saying I have been put on the merit list for my chosen prison. I know my accreditation is valid for 6 month, but was just wondering if you have any idea on how long it usually takes for vacancies to come up and if I have any chance of securing a position within the 12 month? Thanks

• Replies to Rebecca>

Hi Rebecca,

Congrats on passing your RAD! I’m afraid we’re not able to advise on how long you’ll be on the merit list for because it’s dependent on when a vacancy opens up at the prison you’ve applied to. However, you’re on the merit list for up to 12 months from the date you’ve passed your RAD.

6. Comment by Jamie posted on

Good evening,

I’m currently going through vetting , I submitted my pre employment checks 17/11/17. I made a mistake on with my National Insurance number , so had to send a document in , I was becoming concerned about the vetting but fortunately the evening vetting team replied to an email I sent , they confirmed that they are waiting on HMRC to get back to them and assured me they will progress my application. So my question is do you know how long roughly HMRC are likely to take and are there many more steps to vetting that come after this? If so any ideas how long at all.

Many thanks

Jamie

7. Comment by Toni wright posted on

Hi, iv been in vetting alone for 23 weeks and my application currently says..
    “Your application is currently going through pre-employment checks”
    Could you enlighten me on where I stand currently, are last week it says it had been referred for client decision.

• Replies to Toni wright>

Comment by Toni wright posted on

My application has now been updated and has gone back 2 stages to currently going through employment checks if we require any details etc I need to provide them.. can you help with why this has happened?

• Replies to Toni wright>

Hi Toni,

I’m sorry to hear the difficulties you’ve been having, I’m afraid I don’t hold this information of where you currently are in your recruitment journey. It is possible there were some issues with the documents provided at the RAD. To check this, please call the prison you’ve applied to and ask for the Vetting Contact Point (VCP) or the People Hub - they should be able to help.

8. Comment by Natalie posted on

Hello,

I've just passed my RAD and received an email explaining about the merit list and that the process of contacting applicants will start once all the RAD assesments have finished. However I logged onto the portal and my application status explains that I have not been recruited at this time and will remain on the merit list for 12 months. Does this mean that all the assesments have finished and the vacancies have been filled?

Kind regards.

• Replies to Natalie>

Hi Natalie,

Congratulations on passing your RAD! From the information you’ve provided, it appears that you’ve been placed on the merit list. There are still candidates going through the assessment process so not all vacancies have been filled as of yet. Once the merit list order is confirmed, HMPPS will be able to make job offers as vacancies open up throughout the 12 months period.

9. Comment by Mark Hughes posted on

I recently passed all the role plays and exams for the RAD, but failed the fitness test. I am retaking just the fitness test next week, which i am confident i will pass. Fingers crossed. That will then take me to the next stage. The problem i have is i have a holiday booked for the last two weeks of October. If i was fortunate enough to be offered a job, i fear this would clash with the POELT course. Will pre-booked holidays be honoured? I am conscious the POELT course needs to be completed in one go. Thanks.

• Replies to Mark Hughes>

Hi Mark,

Best of luck for your fitness test! As per the blog post, after you’ve been successful in your RAD you’ll then enter the vetting stage which takes on average 12 weeks. It’s only once you’ve passed vetting you’ll be invited to book onto POELT.

POELT courses run on a continuous basis meaning you should be able to pick a date that doesn’t clash with your holiday.

10. Comment by Robinson posted on

We shall be in contact with you shortly to let you know the next stage of the recruitment process.Can you give me more info about this message ? Did i or did not pass the vetings ? They will contact me for a formal offer ? Is been 3 months from passing the assesment day and starting the veting procedures. Thank you.

• Replies to Robinson>

Hi Robinson,

I’m afraid I don’t hold information of where each candidate is on their recruitment journey. Vetting takes on average 12 weeks, you’ll be able to tell if you’ve passed vetting by logging into the online applicant portal and seeing if your status has been updated to say that your pre-employment checks have successfully completed. You can contact the prison you’ve applied to and ask for either the Vetting Contact Point (VCP) or the People Hub if you’re concerned.

11. Comment by Nerissa Gallagher posted on

Hi
    If you pass the RAD at a prison runnng a PASS campaign (rather than a MERIT campaign) does that mean you will get offered a role, subject to all checks of course? Fully understand that if it's a MERIT campaign it's dependent on how highly you scored compared to other recruits as to when you get offered a role.

• Replies to Nerissa Gallagher>

Hi Nerissa,

Yes you’re correct, a pass campaign is where we expect there to be enough vacancies in the 12-months period at the specific prison you’ve applied to, so you’ll be appointed to the next available vacancy.

12. Comment by Daniel posted on

Good morning
    I done the online test and i have booked the RAD test end of this month. On the same time i need to move and I don’t know if this affect the vetting after. If i give the documets for vetting before i move and after i will have different adress. Can i have one advice how to proceed? Thank you Daniel

• Replies to Daniel>

Hi Daniel,

Best of luck for your RAD! If you move house before you reach the vetting stage, you can update your address on the Application Centre. If you move house whilst in the vetting stage and already submitted your on-boarding form, you should update your address on the Application Centre and contact the Contact Centre on 0845 241 5358.

I hope this helps.

13. Comment by Shannon posted on

Hi

I am currently on a reserve list for 2 prisons but wondering if there is a good chance my RAD could run out before I am successful! Does this happen a lot?

• Replies to Shannon>

Hi Shannon,

We do try our best to allocate you a position before your RAD accreditation runs out, however it does all depend on what vacancies are available. Therefore, I’m afraid I’m unable to let you know if you’ll be allocated a role within the 12 months.

14. Comment by Emil posted on

Hi there,
    I have been placed on a merit list, but the job is still up on the justice website. Does this mean that no offers of employment will be made until the job closes and that there is still outstanding RADS to take place?
    Thanks

• Replies to Emil>

Hi Emil,

Yes, you’re correct. Candidates are still going through the assessment process so not all of the vacancies have been filled yet. Once the merit order is confirmed, HMPPS will start making job offers as vacancies become available throughout the 12 months period.

15. Comment by Ashley posted on

Hi,
    I completed the online OH questionnaire and then received an email with an appointment for a telephone assessment with the OH Practitioner however they failed to call me and when I called them, they said that they would leave a message on the system. I also called the Recruitment centre and they could not offer any more advice but add a note on the system. They said that OH will be in touch in 'due course'.
    On checking my application centre there is no update since passing my RAD and being on the merit list. There is no communication about the OH stages that I have been through or going through.
    Can you please offer any advice?
    Many thanks,

• Replies to Ashley>

Hi Ashley,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I’m sorry to hear the difficulties you’ve been having, the only thing to do is please keep trying the OH Assist directly on 03300 085144.

16. Comment by steve walls posted on

Hi
    i applied and passed my RAD in Dec 17', the campaign i applied for (201710) did not mention wether it was a PASS or Merit campaign, there has not been another campaign since then, i have now been on the merit list for almost 5 months. does this mean all vacancies are full and it is a '1 out 1 in' system? also how many people be in the merit pool at any given time? and is the merit list based on the scores you recieved i.e higher the score the more likely you are to be chosen for a appointment or is it based on first come basis?

• Replies to steve walls>

Hi Steve,

From the information you’ve provided, it seems that you're on the merit list, but you can phone the prison you’ve applied to to find out for certain.

You’ll remain on the merit list for up to 12 months from the date you passed your RAD. I’m afraid we’re not able to tell you how many people are on the merit list as it depends on the number of applications, but yes, the pool is listed based on your performance at the RAD. So, the higher the score the more likely you’ll be offered a job.

As soon as a vacancy opens up, you’ll be contacted by HMPPS. You’re still more than welcome to apply to as many prisons as you like while you wait.

17. Comment by Mark posted on

Hi, some people I have spoken to have heard back straight away when passing their RAD, another person found out the next day that she failed her maths and had to Rebook it. Is it likely that I will hear within the 5 working days on whether I have passed or not?

18. Comment by Laura posted on

Hello,

I attended a RAD recently and am awaiting some news.
    I just really wondered purely out of interest what happens with the recordings from the SJT?
    Who marks these?

Thank you!

• Replies to Laura>

Hi Laura,

I’m afraid as blog moderator I don’t hold this information. You should receive the results of your RAD within 5 working days.

19. Comment by Steve posted on

Hello there! I applied for a Merit Campaign, completed and passed my RAD and was told 'This vacancy attracted a number of highly qualified applicants and after careful consideration of all of the applications we are sorry to tell you that you have not been selected for appointment. However, as you were a strong candidate we would like to keep your name on a reserve list. This list will be valid for 12 months from the date of this correspondence and if another vacancy arises for the same position we will contact you.' I understand this was a possibility and so now I wait on the Merit list for a vacancy to open up, however, they are advertising the same job at the same prison on a Merit campaign. Surely, if this means another position has become available then myself and others on the same list as me should be offered a job?

• Replies to Steve>

Hi Steve,

Apologies it has taken so long to get back to you, I’ve been trying to find out the answer. In response to your query, we run ongoing recruitment in prisons where we need to maintain a merit list to meet our recruitment requirements.

20. Comment by Del posted on

Hi

I passed my RAD and have been placed on the Merit List, I applied for ISIS and Belmarsh (the RAD was for ISIS) I contacted recruiting and asked them to link my RAD pass to my Belmarsh Application.

I have noticed that there are more Vacancies for ISIS and Belmarsh, Do I also apply for these or is that pointless as I have already applied before?

• Replies to Del>

Hi Del,

Congrats on passing your RAD! As you’ve already applied for a position and been put on the merit list there is no need to apply again to HMP Isis and HMP Belmarsh.

21. Comment by Del posted on

Hi

Also, I do not know anyone, in a non professional manner, who is on the Countersignature list for the vetting form. What can I do about this?

• Replies to Del>

Hi Del,

Please call the SSCL recruitment centre on 0845 241 5358, they’ll be able to help you.

22. Comment by Del posted on

I received an email saying I have been placed on the Merit List but when I log on to my Application it tells me that I have been unsuccessful but I will be placed on the reserve list.

Am I on the Merit List or not?

• Replies to Del>

Hi Del,

Yes from the information you’ve provided it seems you’ve been put on the merit list. The merit list is also known as the reserve list, you’ll remain on this list for 12 months until a vacancy opens.

23. Comment by Jacob posted on

Hello I have been in the pre employment checks now for over 12 weeks.
    I don’t know who to contact because my job offer was for both Brinsford and Featherstone.
    Any help would be really appreciated
    Thankyou

24. Comment by Romain posted on

Hello
    I was successful at the RAD last week but I have just realised that it was for a Merit campaign, is it possible to transfer your RAD to another prison on PASS campaign, if so how do you do it?

Thanks

25. Comment by Rebecca posted on

Hello,
    I passed my RAD some 4 weeks ago however my application has showed no update. My question really is that I lived in Spain during the last 10 years and only moved back to the UK 4 years ago. Do I need to contact the British Consulate in Malage to obtain a police certificate to prove I received no convictions during my residency there?
    Thanks in advance
    Rebecca

26. Comment by James posted on

Hello I completed my RAD last week but I haven’t found out if I have passed or not. I have just received and email asking me to fill in a health questionare I was wonder if his means I passed?
    Thanks James

• Replies to James>

Hi James,

Have you logged onto your applicant portal to find out the latest update on your status?

• Replies to James>

Comment by Jade posted on

Hi James I received my health questionnaire and filled it straight in and about an hour or so later got an email to say I was successful on my RAD. My RAD was 30th April and I received this email on the 2nd May.
      It says on the email I've been passed to the accredation list but not sure what this means as my status on the website hasn't yet updated from the RAD.
      Hope this helps.

27. Comment by Jade posted on

Hi
    I have passed my RAD & have been put onto an accreditation list as per the email I received
    What does this mean? Does this mean the merit list as the prison I applied for is recruiting for 50 officers

• Replies to Jade>

Hi Jade,

The accreditation list is also known as the merit list. As per the blog post you’ll remain on this list for 12 months until a vacancy becomes available.

• Replies to Helena>

Comment by Jade posted on

I also have checked my 'review status' in the online portal & it isn't showing anything, is this normal?
        It has gone from showing my details for RAD to not showing anything other than the 'withdraw application' button

Thanks again

• Replies to Jade>

Hi Jade,

Please call the SSCL recruitment centre on 0845 241 5358 as they should be able to help you.

• Replies to Jade>

Comment by Emma posted on

Hi Jade,

How do you know how many officers the prison is recruiting for?

Thanks

• Replies to Emma>

Comment by Jade posted on

Hi Emma

It was in a news article with the vacancy attached when it was open 😊

Jade

28. Comment by Emma posted on

Hi,

I received an email saying I passed my RAD, however I have not been asked to fill in a health questionnaire? When will I be asked to do this?

Thanks, Emma

• Replies to Emma>

Hi Emma,

HMPPS will be in contact soon, please keep an eye on your emails and applicant portal.

29. Comment by Katie posted on

Hi, I passed my RAD this week and one prison I applied for (featherstone) is a merit campaign and the other (hewell) is a pass compaign. Will both prisons be available to me and will I be given the first available vacancy at whichever comes up first or will they only offer me one for my original chosen prison?

Katie

30. Comment by Geni posted on

Hi,
    If I failed my RAD can i apply to a different prison?

• Replies to Geni>

Hi Geni,

Yes, you can apply to as many different prisons as you like but you won’t be able to apply to the same prison where you’ve failed your RAD until the current recruitment campaign closes and reopens at a later date.

31. Comment by Shaun posted on

My status has changed to "your application is going through checks, it has been referred for a decision" what does this mean?

• Replies to Shaun>

Hi Shaun,

You’re going through your pre-employment checks, also known as vetting. Please refer to this blog post to find out more information. You can see what the candidate journey is like here - https://justicejobs.tal.net/vx/candidate/cms/3.%20Live%20RAD%20Candidate%20Journey

• Replies to Helena>

Comment by Shaun posted on

Thanks Helena I'm also worries that when they ring for a verbal offer, what happens if I'm at work and miss the call?

• Replies to Shaun>

Hi Shaun,

If voicemail is available, you’ll receive a voicemail. They’ll also send you an email asking you to call the team back after 4pm.

• Replies to Shaun>

Comment by Jade posted on

Hi Shaun
      Can I just ask how long did it take for your status to change to this? From you completing your RAD?
      Thanks

• Replies to Jade>

Comment by Shaun posted on

Around 8 weeks jade

• Replies to Shaun>

Comment by Riane posted on

Hi Shaun, how long did your status say referred for decision before getting a call?

32. Comment by Tracy posted on

Hi I recently passed all elements of RAD but was 1 mark off my English so was invited back for a retake. I have now completed that and sent off the OH questionaire but still unaware if I've passed the English or not?

• Replies to Tracy>

Hi Tracy,

You should receive your RAD results in 5 working days. Keep an eye on both your emails and applicant portal as HMPPS will be in touch with you.

• Replies to Tracy>

Comment by Liviu posted on

Hi,

In how many days they call you to retake English test? I fail also English and I wait for them to call me back.

• Replies to Liviu>

Hi Liviu,

You’ll be contacted in 5 working days. As per the blog post, you’ll only be able to retake your English test if you’ve failed but are close to the pass mark.

33. Comment by Steve posted on

Hi, I passed my RAD for a ‘merit campaign’ and was put on the ‘merit list’. I then applied for a ‘pass campaign’ and called SSCL and asked for my RAD result to be used for this application also. I then received an email explaining that I was put on the ‘merit list’ for this application even though it was a ‘pass campaign’. I am now extremely confused by the difference between ‘pass’ and ‘merit’ campaigns, especially when both prisons are still advertising vacancies. Is there anyone I can speak to for more information about this? Thanks

• Replies to Steve>

Hi Steve,

A pass campaign does have a merit list but does differ slightly as this is where we expect there to be enough vacancies in the 12 month period at the prison you’ve applied to, this means you’ll be appointed to the next available vacancy. Whereas a merit list is based on your RAD accreditation, so the higher you score the more chance you will get a position.

Please keep an eye on your emails.

I hope that’s helpful.

34. Comment by Tracy posted on

I passed RAD yay!!!!

I have been asked to do a telephone interview with OH is this anything to worry about or is it just clarification on things I enclosed in the questionaire?
    Thanks Tracy

• Replies to Tracy>

Hi Tracy,

Congrats on passing your RAD! No, there is nothing to be worried about, its just an informal chat about your OH questionnaire that you’ve filled in.

35. Comment by Gary Edwards posted on

As the vetting process takes so long I have had to start a new job, once I pass vetting, how long can I postpone my start date for?

36. Comment by Glenn posted on

Hi, I have been invited for the RAD, I have just moved address and my driving licence is being renewed and should be here before the RAD and my new birth certificate is in the post as I misplaced it in the move, also a bank statement is on the way all I hope before the RAD. I have plenty of items to proof of address but to my previous one, am I able to use this if my drivers licence shows my new address? or am I in somewhat of a pickle here?

• Replies to Glenn>

Hi Glenn,

Please bring as many of these documents with you so that the team can pull out the most appropriate information. If it’s possible, we’d encourage you to go to your bank, get them to amend your address on file and then print out a new statement. If the bank stamps this, it will then count as one proof of address.

37. Comment by Francesca posted on

Hi just 3 weeks after vetting started my status changed to referred for a decision and now gone back to pre employment checks in progress. Is this normal?

• Replies to Francesca>

Hi Francesca,

Yes, this just means the vetting team are working through your pre-employment checks which can take on average 12 weeks.

38. Comment by Iulian posted on

Hi Helena, recently I received an email informing me that my pre-employment checks has been successfully completed and asked me to call to a number to discuss a start date. I called and one lady told me that was no one availabale to talk to me at that moment and I will receive a call asap to discuss a verball offer. I been waiting for 2 days and I didn't receive any call. I called back and no one answer. Do you know what I suppose to do? Thank you!

• Replies to Iulian>

Hi Lulian,

The email you were sent should say to call the team back after 4pm, can I please check you’re ringing after 4pm?

• Replies to Iulian>

Comment by Jade posted on

Hi Lulian

Can I just ask how long it took to hear about this following your RAD?

Thanks

39. Comment by Emma posted on

Hi,

I have received an offer so have to fill in my pre-employment checks. I am currently away and so unable to retrieve some of the information needed.

Do I have fill in the pre employment information within a specific time frame?

• Replies to Emma>

Hi Emma,

No, there’s no specific time frame, but delaying your pre-employment checks will delay the next stages of your recruitment journey. Please email the PORRP team, PORRP-VAT@noms.gsi.gov.uk, as they deal with vetting so you can let them know you’re currently away.

40. Comment by Rebecca posted on

Hi
    I’ve passed all my checks and have had a formal offer to start at the Verne Portland in October but I’ve later found out that Winchester prison is also recruiting and is a lot closer to me, can I transfer prisons before my start date?
    Thanks

• Replies to Rebecca>

Hi Rebecca,

Due to already having a start date, I’m afraid we wouldn’t be able to advise you on this. I’d encourage you to ring HMP The Verne and speak to the recruitment advisor there as they’ll be able to help you.

41. Comment by Chloe posted on

Hello,

My status has just changed to;

'Thank you very much for your interest in PSP.

Your application is currently being reviewed, and we will be in contact with you shortly to let you know the outcome.'

Do you know how long it takes from receiving this message to receiving a call? I'm hopeful this is the last step before receiving a verbal offer.

Thanks.

• Replies to Chloe>

Hi Chloe,

As soon as you pass vetting, which can take on average 12 weeks, you’ll be contacted about a start date depending on the availability of the prison.

42. Comment by Mark posted on

Hi, I’ve only just started the pre employment checks, I am already security cleared and hold an enhanced dbs. I’ve just noticed my application has been changed to Your application is currently going through pre-employment checks and has been referred for a decision. is this a good sign ? Thanks

• Replies to Mark>

Comment by Mark posted on

It’s now saying, We shall be in contact with you shortly to let you know the next stage of the recruitment process.

• Replies to Mark>

Hi Mark,

Keep an eye both on your applicant portal and emails as HMPPS will be in contact with you to talk about next steps.

• Replies to Helena>

Comment by Mark posted on

Hi Helena
          Thanks for your response. Got the call
          Today to say all cleared and offered a start date 🙂

43. Comment by Dan posted on

I am filling out my pre employment information and have come to the section for professional membership. Not quite sure what I need to put?
    Membership to what?
    Bit confused and hope I'm not being thick!
    Thanks Dan

• Replies to Dan>

Hi Dan,

This refers to whether or not you’re a member of a registered professional body. For example, doctors, psychologists or accountants typically belong to their own professional memberships. If you don’t belong to one, it’s fine just to keep this section blank.

44. Comment by Steve posted on

Hello,
    I’m pondering applying to be a prison officer but I do have the letter E tattooed on my ring finger. Would this hinder any application?

45. Comment by allana posted on

Hi,
    I am a UK Citizen but currently living overseas but will be returning to the UK within the year. Am I able to apply for a vacancy as a Prison Officer if I out of the country?

Many thanks and look forward to hearing from you.
    Allana

• Replies to allana>

Hi Allana,

Yes you can apply, as long as you’re in the UK for your RAD and POELT training.

46. Comment by Lou posted on

I have completed the rad successfuly and have filled out the oh assist health questionnaire. Can you tell me please what to expect next as I've had no other contact after receiving rad results. Many thanks

47. Comment by Sarah posted on

Hi, I’ve applied to a HMPYOI, and have my RAD next week, I was wondering if their is a alternative test to the beep test as I had knee reconstruction, it doesn’t stop me doing anything but sharp turns hurt, Thanks.

• Replies to Sarah>

Hi Sarah,

When you arrive for your fitness test, please let the RAD assessors know about your knee.

48. Comment by simon posted on

just found out my pre employment checks have been unsucessful, what could be the reasons, cant think of anything.
    thanks

• Replies to simon>

Hi Simon,

I’m afraid I don’t hold this information, but common reasons could be due to your references, not returning the correct information or failing to disclose information.

49. Comment by Glenn posted on

Hi, there isn't enough spaces on the work history page, as I work.in construction I have worked for 13 employers over 5 years, all short term work. But the form only has space for 9 and won't allow me to add any more.

• Replies to Glenn>

Hi Glenn,

You can use the additional details field on your application to add the rest of your job history so that you can provide all of your employment details.

50. Comment by Ryan posted on

Hello,

I'm currently going through the Vetting Process and my status has been updated to

"We shall be in contact with you shortly to let you know the next stage of the recruitment process".

And the vetting process check list has now disappeared. Does this mean I have completed vetting?

Also

What is the next step ?

Regards,
    Ryan.

51. Comment by Kay posted on

Hi,
    I have recently attended Familiarisation day and have a RAD booked in the next couple of weeks. I have to attend the assessment centre in Rugby, which is a 3 hour and 43 minute journey via public transport and a 2 hour drive. Is there any RAD Assessment Centres based in London? or close London?

• Replies to Kay>

Hi Kay,

There are RAD centres across the country but we need to allocate people to ones that have availability. You could try checking with the system you booked your RAD with to find the next available one that’s more convenient for you.

52. Comment by Rhiannon posted on

Hi

I passed the RAD in March and I am on an accreditation list I go on to my application on the justice website and check my status update but all it keeps saying is application update, what does this mean?

• Replies to Rhiannon>

Comment by Rhiannon posted on

I also filled out the OH assessment online and heard nothing back from that? I’m just a bit confused as to what will be happening

• Replies to Rhiannon>

Hi Rhiannon,

From the information you’ve provided, it seems you’re currently going through pre-employment checks also known as vetting, this can take up to 12 weeks. You can call the prison you’ve applied to and ask for the Vetting Contact Point or the People Hub and they should be able to help you.

53. Comment by Olly posted on

Hi there, I applied for a position at Full Sutton, York, and subsequently passed the RAD. Am I now able to transfer my RAD accreditation to Wetherby? I heard as it was a youth offenders institution that I would have to pass yet another RAD day 🙁 Any help or advice would be appreciated.

54. Comment by Daniela posted on

Hello, I have attended the RAD on 30th of May, I haven’t received the results yet but I received an email inviting me for a familiarisation day in July .
    Is it alright to book that even though I don’t know my RAD results yet?

• Replies to Daniela>

Hi Daniela,

You should receive your RAD results in 5 working days, so you can make a decision on if you’d like to book onto a familiarisation day once you get your results. Please keep an eye on both your applicant portal and emails.

• Replies to Helena>

Comment by Daniela posted on

Hey Helena ,
        I haven’t received the RAD results but I have received an email asking to complete a health questionnaire.
        Does that mean that I passed the RAD ? Thank you, Daniela

• Replies to Daniela>

Comment by Emily posted on

Hi Daniela,

Please log onto your applicant portal to see the most up to date status of your application.

When asked for information, we also recommend responding as soon as possible to avoid delays with your application.

Many thanks,
          Emily

55. Comment by Luke Gilchrist posted on

Hi,

Im currently going through my vetting procedure, however I need to change my counter signatory as they are no longer able to provide me with this.

I have contacted the SSCL recruitment line however I have been given two different email addresses to contact and have not received anything back from them.

Can you please advise who I can contact to get this resolved?

Thanks, Luke

56. Comment by Andy posted on

Hi there,

I completed my RAD a few days ago and have received the email to say I was successful with the adults but not juveniles. The prison I applied for is adults only anyway. Will my application carry on as normal?

Thanks, Andy

57. Comment by Daniela posted on

Hello , does the SSCL recruitment centre have an email address I could write to?
    Being at work most of the days, I found it easier to contact them by email and not phone. Thank you
    Kind regards, Daniela

58. Comment by Laura posted on

Hey , I have been offered a provisional job offer in Winchester which I accepted, but I haven’t yet submited the documents required for the pre-employment checks .
    I have now changed my mind and I’d like to apply to the one in Portland and move to that area.
    Can I withdraw that application made in Winchester , apply in Portland and use the RAD I have already passed ?
    Many thanks

• Replies to Laura>

Comment by Emily posted on

Hi Laura

Yes, you would need to make another application to Winchester and pass the online tests. Once passed and invited to the RAD, you can phone SSCL to ask them to transfer your RAD accreditation over. We've answered a similar question here: https://prisonjobs.blog.gov.uk/2017/12/13/an-introduction-to-poelt-prison-officer-entry-level-training/#comment-181

However, before you do anything I would advise that you please check whether or not Winchester is currently recruiting people to go on a waiting list (also known as merit list). Some prisons receive many high quality applications than there are vacancies, so for merit list prisons, you're not guaranteed a job even if you pass the RAD.

Hope that helps,

Emily

59. Comment by Carl posted on

I applied for an adult prison but was sent on a RAD which incorporated Juvenile role play assesment. I was accredited for an adult position but failed the juvenile, which I didn’t even know I was being assessed for. Do I have to inform anyone that it was an adult prison I applied for or will they know even though it states I have failed the assesment Also my application was for a Merit campaign yet the same prison are now advertising for a PASS campaign. Should I transfer my application to the PASS campaign advert even though it’s the same prison. Will this give me a quaranteed job rather than be put on the merit list?
    I am confused

• Replies to Carl>

Comment by Emily posted on

Hi Carl,

I would recommend speaking with the People team at the prison you've applied to, who you can reach by phoning the prison you've applied to.

Thanks,
      Emily

60. Comment by Abbiegail posted on

Hello,
    I passed my RAD day on the 15th May.
    I have had an email saying 'I am pleased to inform you that following your recent attendance at RAD for prison officer selection, you were successful in achieving a pass and are accredited for appointment. As a result your name has been placed on a merit list for appointment.'
    What will be the next step?
    The job has been reposted on the Indeed job website so i'm assuming that there are jobs still available and they are recruiting. I've also been told that the prisons i have applied for are desperate for staff.

Please could you let me know what i should recieve next, if anything.

61. Comment by Megan roper posted on

Hi, I’ve sadly just failed the assessment day at the eyesight test. I wear spectacles or contacts and have difficulty seeing clearly without them however I have up to date sight tests and drive a car.
    The assessor asked me to read from the board without any aids and then said I failed as I couldn’t see anything clearly. I can’t read anything on the preparation information that says I need to be able to see without aids.... in fact there is a reminder to bring them. I’m just wondering where I stand here? Can I appeal? I’m really confused and disappointed. Many thanks
    Megan

62. Comment by kristina posted on

Hello. Currently i am going thru pre-employment checks. However my status was "passed for a decision" and today it says "going thru higher checks and/or health outstanding". What does it means? Thanks.

• Replies to kristina>

Comment by Emily posted on

Hi, this just means that your application is progressing and you may be asked for further information to complete your pre-employment checks. Please keep an eye out on your emails and applicant portal and if you're asked to provide any information, please do so as soon as possible to avoid delays with your application.

63. Comment by Duncan posted on

hello, I have been applying I got passed the RAD. Unfortunately my vetting has failed. I have requested more information is there anyway to appeal or is that my application over?
    if the is a way to appeal is there any indication as to how long the process takes?

• Replies to Duncan>

Comment by Emily posted on

Hi Duncan,

I’m afraid we don’t hold this information, but common reasons for failing vetting could be due to your references, not returning the correct information or failing to disclose information.

• Replies to Duncan>

Comment by Daisy posted on

Hello, I also have a question regarding vetting.
      Please can you out line the things you would be looking into.
      Criminal Record?
      Credit Check?
      Employment Dates?
      I am also wondering if you'd contact my employer while I'm still here, I'm concerned because the vetting can take 12 weeks.

Thank you!

• Replies to Daisy>

Hi Daisy,

I’m afraid I can’t go into specific details in our vetting process on this public blog. We may not contact your employer as it all depends on the HMRC process. Please refer back to the blog post on this page as we explain more about whether your employer will be contacted.

64. Comment by Shannon posted on

Hello

I passed my RAD in April but I was placed on the Merit List. I then transferred my RAD to another prison but was also placed on that Merit List. Will I still be considered for vacancies for the first prison I applied to or not?
    Thanks

• Replies to Shannon>

Comment by Emily posted on

Hi Shannon,

Since you transferred your application to another prison then no, you won't be considered for the first prison for vacancies.

• Replies to Shannon>

Comment by Daniela posted on

Hey Shannon, how long did it take to have your RAD accreditation transfered over ?
      As I am at the moment waiting for a confirmation to say that they have done it.
      Thanks, Daniela

• Replies to Daniela>

Comment by Shannon Widdall posted on

Hi Daniela,

It was done within 7 days when I transferred my RAD. You could always call back to see when it will be done

Thanks

65. Comment by Katie posted on

Hi,
    I’ve been given a date to start my POELT training and in the letter I received it’s asked me to take training shoes and suitable clothes to wear for physical training. What will this been needed for during the course?

Katie.

66. Comment by Aidan posted on

Hi I recently passed my RAD and then received the OH health questionnaire, a question come up about immunisation documents and I put that I didn’t have them but now realise I do? Does this matter much anyway or shall I get in contact with the vetting team?
    Thanks