How to prepare for the RAD (Recruitment Assessment Day)

Prison officers

Part of the application process to become a prison officer is to attend and pass a Recruitment Assessment Day (RAD).

A RAD is not like a typical assessment day or job interview, as it specifically assesses an applicant's suitability to be a prison officer.

I’m a Recruitment Adviser for Her Majesty's Prison and Probation Service (HMPPS), and my role is to provide help and guidance to prison officer applicants. We get many questions about the RAD in particular. So, I’ve written this post to provide tips on what we’re looking for in prison officers, what to expect and how to prepare for a RAD.

What happens before a RAD

Prison officer applicants will need to complete and pass the Online Prison Officer Selection Test for each prison they’ve applied to. Once passed, applicants may also be invited to attend a familiarisation day, so they can get to know a prison better and also check they’re a right fit for the role.

You’re then invited to attend a RAD. Even if you’ve applied to multiple prisons, you only need to attend and pass one RAD.

You’ll be able to book onto any available RAD within the next 3-4 weeks after being invited. You’re able to choose which RAD centre you go to, so you should be able to pick a RAD slot that is at a convenient time and location.

The assessment process

There are no formal interviews at the RAD. The RAD assessors will be looking at your suitability to become a prison officer by seeing if you have the values, fitness (stamina) and interpersonal skills needed for this role through a series of tests.

The RAD includes a basic medical test, including an eyesight test, with and without glasses (so if you’re a contact lens wearer, you’ll need to also bring your glasses with you). Your blood pressure will be taken, and we advise you to not drink caffeinated drinks which may affect your blood pressure and, if it’s too high, you won't be allowed to take the fitness test.

There will be a literacy and language test, and a numeracy test, but don’t panic – you’ll be able to use a calculator. Prison officers will be expected to be able to write accurate and easily-understood case notes and reports.

This brings me onto what the prison officer fitness test involves. You’ll need to pass a bleep test at level 5.4. This means running and keeping in time with the bleeps, until you hear four beeps past level 5. You’ll also do a shuttle run, a grip test and shield test (where you’ll need to show you can hold up a shield for a set period of time).

Finally, the last part of the RAD will be the prison officer role-play exercises, also known as situational judgement tests (SJT). You’ll typically do 3 SJTs, or 5 if you’ve applied to a young offenders’ institution. Tests last 10 minutes each. You’ll be given a brief at the SJT, and then enter the assessment room with an actor who will be following a script. During the role-plays, you won’t be expected to solve the given problem, but demonstrate how you manage the situation. The role-play will be filmed and the assessors will mark you against 7 interpersonal characteristics:

1. non-verbal communication
  2. suspending judgement
  3. showing understanding
  4. assertion
  5. exploring and clarifying
  6. acting with integrity
  7. respecting others

The tests are all about how you manage your interactions with others, so think about body language, ask (the actor) questions, show resilience and that you understand the situation. Most importantly, remember to be yourself.

How best to prepare

There are a variety of ways you can prepare for the RAD. There are practice tests on the prison and probation jobs website to get you started. Other ideas are:

What to wear at the RAD?

There's no official dress-code but we recommend attending in smart-casual clothes.

Take your gym kit along as well, including any medication such as inhalers, for the fitness test.

Remember you also need to bring original documents that prove your right to work, a valid ID and proof of your address. You’ll be given guidance as to what documents to bring when invited.

What happens after a RAD

You should receive your results within 5 working days.

If you pass the RAD, congratulations! Following the good news, you’ll then begin the vetting clearance process, which will take approximately 12 weeks. Once completed, you’ll be invited to attend your Prison Officer Entry Level Training (POELT) – a 12-week training course that provides new recruits with the skills and knowledge needed to start their career as prison officers.

If unsuccessful across the whole assessment, you’ll still always be welcome to re-apply to a new job vacancy when advertised.

To find out more information about working for the prison service, please visit our recruitment website.

105 comments

1. Comment by Drew posted on

Hi
    So I've just recently passed my RAD, I applied for an Officer role at Rochester, but I've also applied for a number of other local facilities. I've read that I only need to pass one RAD, so what happens regarding the other places I've applied for? Am I eligible for a position at these too? Is there a way I can update the Prisons I'd like to work in, to include these?
    Sorry, a burst of questions there.

• Replies to Drew>

Comment by Emily posted on

Hi Drew,

Thanks for your questions. Congratulations on passing your RAD! You'll now need to make a decision on which application you'd like to move forward with, and withdraw from the rest. You won't be able to take forward more than one application with the same RAD result.

If you wish to move your RAD accreditation to another establishment, you'll need to please phone the recruitment contact centre at SSCL.

2. Comment by Arv posted on

How long will the RAD continue?

• Replies to Arv>

Comment by Emily posted on

Hi Arv

RAD stands for Recruitment Assessment Day, so it'll last a day. Recruitment Assessment Days are run on a continuous basis and you'll be provided with a series of dates to choose from if you're invited to book onto one.

Emily

3. Comment by jodie posted on

I am about to do RAD , I'm as prepared as i can be if i was to fail can i do it again or do i have to wait a certain length of time before i can re do it?

hopefully i will pass

Jodie

• Replies to jodie>

Comment by Emily posted on

Hi Jodie,

Best of luck on your RAD! It depends on what margin you've failed the RAD. If you’re unsuccessful but very close to the pass mark, then you’ll be invited back to attend a development day and offered another chance at the RAD. You’ll be given some training in the area you didn’t pass (such as numeracy, literacy, or the role-play), and then get the opportunity to take another test. You can attempt the fitness test a total of 3 times as long as you’ve passed all other tests.

Best of luck,

Emily

• Replies to Emily>

Comment by jodie posted on

thank you so much for this reply , i feel at ease knowing this

4. Comment by Mark Hughes posted on

I am about to do my RAD tomorrow. I have multiple applications submitted and have another RAD booked in for 26th March. If i am unfortunate enough to fail tomorrow, will i be able to simply do the RAD on the 26th, or alternatively if i pass everytning except the fitness test tomorrow, can i re-do the fit ess test alone on the 26th? Thanks.

• Replies to Mark Hughes>

Hi Mark,

I hope your RAD went well! If you’re unsuccessful please keep an eye out for any communications from HMPPS, who’ll be in touch with you to discuss the next steps.

• Replies to Helena>

Comment by Lee posted on

Hi all, I have passed RAD and also medical assessment. When should I order my uniform and how do I do it?

Thanks in advance

Lee

• Replies to Lee>

Comment by Emily posted on

Hi Lee

Congrats on passing! You'll receive your uniform on your first day of the job.

Best wishes,

Emily

5. Comment by Simon posted on

If you have failed the literacy test by one point and everything else was passed. How long do you have to wait to retake that element?

6. Comment by Steph posted on

HI.

what kind of medial do you undertake ? I have had operations on my knee however i am able to play sport etc and run as normal, will my past medial record of knee opportunities effect my chance?

• Replies to Steph>

Comment by Emily posted on

Hi Steph,

Please refer to the blog post on this page, as we explain that it'll be a basic medical test testing your eyesight and blood pressure etc. The blog post also explains that you'll need to be able to pass a fitness test, which is a bleep test at level 5.4, and provides examples of how you can practice this ahead of the RAD.

Thanks,

Emily

7. Comment by Josh posted on

Hi! I passed my RAD earlier this month, i passed every element of the assessment and also received good grades in the practical test (all A's and two B+'s). I sent off the OH questionairre a few weeks ago, and i now understand that i have been placed on a merit list and that i will need to wait for a vacancy to arise in my chosen prison. I am wondering how long it will be until i find out what time period i will be waiting until i start the vetting process. I have applied to a large prison so i hopefully wont be waiting for too long, but any information regarding this will be really appreciated because i don't know whether to look for temporary work in the meantime or to find a full time job now (if the process takes more than 6 months).

• Replies to Josh>

Hi Josh,

I’m afraid we’re not able to advise on how long you’ll be on the merit list for because it is dependent on when a vacancy opens up at the prison you’ve applied to. However, you are on the merit list for up to 12 months from the date you’ve passed your RAD.

Therefore, we’d encourage all candidates to remain in work and to not hand in their notice until they’ve received confirmation of an offer and are approached with a start date.

I hope that is helpful

• Replies to Josh>

Comment by Helen Erfmann posted on

Hiya Josh I'm exactly the same suppose it's just a waiting game.. were did you do your RAD? What date did you do it?

8. Comment by Sam posted on

Hi

I recently had my RAD and was accredited for adult prison but was unsuccessful for adult juvenile prison. On my RAD results it says that I can still work in adult environment, I applied for the prisons Pentonville and wormwood scrubs which I both thought were adult prisons.

Can I use these results to still progress to work in the two prisons mentioned?
    If not, can I use them to work in other prisons without having to apply again from the very start and wait another couple of months to hear something?

• Replies to Sam>

Hi Sam,

You can mirror your RAD results from one prison to another, but you’ll need to pass the online tests for both HMP Pentonville and Wormwood Scrubs and then ask for your RAD results to be transferred over.

To transfer your RAD results over, please call the recruitment contact centre on 0845 241 5358 and they’ll be able to help.

• Replies to Helena>

Comment by Sam posted on

Thank you Helena took up your advices and used the RAD results for pentoville. Just waiting on my vetting to now come through. Thanks for your help!

9. Comment by Rob posted on

Hi,

I failed my RAD yesterday and passed everything but Showing Understanding I got 60/c+ and assertion 60/c+

Does this mean I will be invited back or am I not near the pass mark?

Thanks 🙂

• Replies to Rob>

Hi Rob,

I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to discuss specific details about your RAD results on this public blog. Keep an eye on both your emails and applicants portal to find out next steps.

10. Comment by Sian posted on

What is the current bleep test level for the RAD

• Replies to Sian>

Comment by Emily posted on

Hi Sian

Please refer to the blog post on this page as this tells you details about the bleep test for the RAD.

Emily

11. Comment by Nicky Robins posted on

Hi
    I completed my RAD 27th March but still haven’t heard anything. I have also sent an email enquiring, but no reply. Can I assume I haven’t been successful?
    Thanks
    Nicky

• Replies to Nicky Robins>

Hi Nicky,

It can take some time to hear back, please keep checking your applicant portal. Thank you for your patience.

12. Comment by Laura posted on

Hi,

I have been invited to a familiarisation day on the 20th of April, if all goes well i will be invited to the RAD within the next 3-4 weeks, unfortunately I will be holiday for 3 weeks from the beginning of May. Is there a chance to join a RAD day after the 3-4 invitation or would I have to start the process again?

Thank you in advance.

• Replies to Laura>

Hi Laura,

You’ll be given a selection of dates and locations for the RAD, so you can book onto a day that doesn’t clash with your holiday.

13. Comment by Serena posted on

Hi

I passed my RAD on Tuesday and still being early days I haven't heard anything apart from an email regarding a health form to complete online. I think I have completed it but it's asking about immunisations and the form is quite difficult. I'm not sure what sections I'm supposed to complete?

• Replies to Serena>

Hi Serena,

Congrats on passing your RAD! It can take some time to hear back, please keep checking your applicant portal. If you’re struggling with the health form please contact the prison you’ve applied to and ask for the People Hub - they should be able to help you.

14. Comment by richard posted on

Hi my RAD day is fast approaching and im a bit worried about my blood pressure being high. I'm on tablets but i also suffer with white coat . will this be taken into account ?

• Replies to richard>

Hi Richard,

Best of luck for your RAD! When you arrive at your medical, please let the RAD assessors know about your medical history.

15. Comment by Michael Ellis posted on

Hi

I’ve passed my rad, and been told I’m on a reserve list for my chosen prisons, when I applied it was a pass campaign and is now a merit. I’ve been placed on a reserve list is this the same as a merit list? What would be the rough wait for a vacancy? Also can my rad results be used for other prisons?

• Replies to Michael Ellis>

Hi Michael,

Congrats on passing your RAD! The reserve list is also known as a merit list, you can read more in our vetting blog post - https://prisonjobs.blog.gov.uk/2018/03/22/prison-officer-vetting-101/. As per the blog post, you can remain on the merit list for up to 12 months.

You can transfer your RAD to another prison if you pass the online test for each prison you’ve applied to. You can then transfer your existing RAD accreditation if you wish (you only need to take one RAD) to the new application.

I hope that helps,
      Helena

16. Comment by Akshatha posted on

Hi, I am due to take RAD on 11th of this month. Just worried about the bleep test. If I fail the bleep test but pass the rest of the tests what are my chances of being selected to the prison officer role?

• Replies to Akshatha>

Hi Akshatha,

Best of luck for your RAD! Please review the above blog post where we provide information on the bleep test.

You can attempt the fitness test a total of 3 times as long as you pass all the other tests on at your RAD.

17. Comment by Christina posted on

Hi. I had my Rad yesterday. I know it could be to soon for the results just yet. However when i log in to my account to check my application progress it shows: Aplication update and only the button that says "withdraw the application. Does that mean that i have been unsuccessful at Rad?
    Thank you.

• Replies to Christina>

Hi Christina,

That button provides you with the option to withdraw your application if you no longer wish to apply. It is always available to applicants, should they change their mind during any stage of the application process.

Please keep an eye on your emails and application portal. You should receive your results within 5 working days.

18. Comment by kristina posted on

Hello. Got my rad results today and looks like i passed everything, except failed literacy test by 2 marks. Will i be invited back to a development course? As we were told if you close to passing in one area by 2 marks that we will be offered a re-sit?
    Thank you.

• Replies to kristina>

Hi kristina,

Yes, as per this blog post on the RAD, if you were close to the pass mark you’ll be invited back. Please keep an eye on both your applicant portal and emails.

19. Comment by Ben White posted on

Hi, I've been offered to attend a RAD after completing my online application on trying to book a slot where iv been offered are all really far away from I live is that the only choice I have to pick from? If I pass the RAD is that the same location(s) that I would be offered to do the poelt as having 4 young children I couldn't be away from home Monday to Friday for 10 weeks, Thank you.

• Replies to Ben White>

Hi Ben,

The location where you’re taking your RAD might not necessarily be the same location you do your POELT. For both RAD and POELT we have to allocate people to the spaces we have available, but we always try to take into consideration your location, the prison you’ve applied to and your personal circumstances.

20. Comment by Chloe posted on

Hello, I passed my RAD last month, initially applying for HMP Bedford. I have completed the online health questionnaire. I see on my portal that I have already been placed on the waiting list for Bedford. I assumed there would be vacancies, hence the advertisement for applicants. Is it just a case of waiting for vacancies now?
    I have since applied for HMP Woodhill and have a Familiarisation Tour on the 20th April. However, I'm worried that I'll be placed on the waiting list again for this prison. Is there a way to see what prisons have vacancies? Thank you.

• Replies to Chloe>

Hi Chloe,

Congrats on passing your RAD! Some prisons advertise roles stating whether or not they’re recruiting on a merit basis from the beginning of the process. However, depending on the quality of candidates and number of vacancies available, some prisons may end up having to recruit on a merit basis after the application process has started.

Once you’re put on a merit list, unfortunately it’s not possible to tell when a vacancy will arise or how many vacancies a prison has as they recruit on a rolling basis.

As soon as a vacancy opens at HMP Bedford they will be in touch with you.

21. Comment by Daniel posted on

I have my RAD on Thursday, I emailed Noms recruitment regarding my identification and have had no reply.

I currently only have an expired passport and short birth certificate. I have been unable to get updated/full copies with short notice.

I have a full driving licence, marriage certificate, my children's birth certificates and a current DBS and several proof of address documents.

will this be sufficient for the identification and address proof requirements.

• Replies to Daniel>

Hi Daniel,

Best of luck for your RAD! I’d encourage you to just take all your documents along with you to RAD. Although your passport is out of date, you may still need it as photographic ID to get into the prison. You should receive a text 48 hours prior to your RAD along with a contact number which you can ring if you have any queries.

I hope that’s useful,

22. Comment by Daniel posted on

I have my RAD on the 19th April.

I am worried about the eye sight test. I currently where glasses all the time and can see perfectly.

As I wear glasses all the time, Is there a minimum requirement without glasses that I need to meet?

• Replies to Daniel>

Hi Daniel,

Best of luck for your RAD! You need to meet a minimum standard in both eyes of not less than 6/36 in each eye on the Snellen scale (uncorrected) and not less than 6/12 in the best eye (corrected with glasses/contact lenses if necessary). You also need to have normal binocular field vision with at least 120 degrees of vision in the horizontal plane.

I hope this is helpful.

23. Comment by Kenzo posted on

I’m finding it so difficult to pass my situational judgement test. Anyone to give us a clue please?

• Replies to Kenzo>

Hi Kenzo,

I’m afraid I can’t go into too much detail on how these assessments are marked on this public blog.

I’d encourage you to take a look at the practice material we’ve provided - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrzeX4RUpxM. As per the blog post, you won’t be expected to solve the problem but demonstrate how you’d manage the situation, so think about how you manage your interactions with others, think about body language, asking (the actor) questions, showing resilience and that you understand the situation.

I hope that’s useful and best of luck.

24. Comment by Serena posted on

Hi I recently passed my RAD where I applied for a position at Bedford. I received an email to say I was waiting to be appointed and put on the merit list but when I logged on to the portal it said I had not been appointed as there was a high calibre of strong applicants (bearing in mind I achieved all A's/A+s). I'm finding the process overall a bit confusing as there is multiple adverts for the vacancies but it looks like there is no jobs.

• Replies to Serena>

Hi Serena,

Congrats on passing your RAD! From the information you’ve provided, it appears that you’ve been placed on the merit list. There are still candidates going through the assessment process so not all vacancies have been filled as of yet. Once the merit list order is confirmed, HMPPS will be able to make job offers as vacancies open up throughout the 12 months waiting list.

You can read more about the merit list on this blog post - https://prisonjobs.blog.gov.uk/2018/03/22/prison-officer-vetting-101/

25. Comment by Laura posted on

Hi,

I have my RAD next Thursday and I’m worried I might fail the fitness aspects as my left hand is in a cast (ie grip strength, push/pull). Is it possible for me to reschedule the RAD to a time when I know my cast will be removed? Or is it worth going and trying next week, and if I do fail my fitness I can come back and retake it?

• Replies to Laura>

Hi Laura,

It’s best to call the recruitment contact centre on 0845 241 5358 to discuss this query as they’ll be able to help you and possibly reschedule onto a later RAD date.

26. Comment by Ellie posted on

Hi there,

I have a familIsation day on the 20th April. Should I be worried about this and what can I expect?

I am just a bit wconcerned that they might think I’m not fit for the job and not put me forward to the RAD. How do they asses that on that day ?

Thanks

• Replies to Ellie>

Hi Ellie,

Best of luck for your familiarisation day! Familiarisation days are nothing to be worried about, they’re organised so that you can get to know your work environment. The visit also gives you a great chance to meet serving prison officers and see what it’s like to work in the prison.

Due to this being a public blog, I can’t go into too much detail on how they assess on the day.

27. Comment by Mitchell posted on

Hi,

If applied online and was unsuccessful with SJT and Maths test, can I reapply or do I have to wait?

Thanks
    Mitch

• Replies to Mitchell>

Hi Mitchell,

You’re unable to apply to the same campaign if you’ve failed the online test. You either need to wait for the campaign to be re-advertised at a later date or you’re more than welcome to apply to a different prison.

28. Comment by Steven posted on

Hi, I’ve been invited to book on a RAD but all the courses are in London and I live in the North East. Is my only option to travel or are there courses closer to me? Thanks Steven

• Replies to Steven>

Hi Steven,

For both RAD and POELT we have to allocate people to the spaces we have available, but we always try to take into consideration your location, the prison you’ve applied to and your personal circumstances. Please refer to the prison you’ve applied to regarding travel expenses as each prison differs.

29. Comment by Daniel morgan posted on

Hi my name is Daniel.

I took my RAD test yesterday I felt it all went well I defused all the scenarios efficiently and I felt there was no problems with that. I failed my maths test by 4 marks but I passed the English. Just don’t know why how I failed the scenarios as I felt confident throughout. It’s Upsetting as I really want to give it another hit again.

What can I do? 🙂

• Replies to Daniel morgan>

Hi Daniel,

You are more than welcome to apply to a different prison or you can wait until the prison you’ve applied to re-advertises positions at a later date.

30. Comment by Julian posted on

Hi I have my familiarisation day tomorrow and was wondering if there was a specific dress code for this.

• Replies to Julian>

Hi Julian,

There is no official dress code, smart casual is fine. Please don’t wear anything with offensive logos, full of rips etc. You will be walking around prisons, so make sure you wear comfortable footwear.

31. Comment by Kerri posted on

Hi Helena,

I was having some trouble with booking on to the RAD closest to my home, the link would not allow me to confirm the date and time. After emailing the SSCL Recruitment Centre about it and having no reply, I attempted it again and now the only ones available are miles away. Shall I take it that I now need to attend one of the ones that are further away in order to secure a slot?

Thank you.

• Replies to Kerri>

Hi Kerri,

I’m sorry to hear you’ve had trouble booking onto your RAD. Yes, I would encourage you to secure your place on one of the RADs available.

32. Comment by Abbi posted on

Hello I have my RAD booked for Monday in Rugby.
    I was wondering if its possible to just wear some joggers and a top and trainers so im ready for the medical without needing to change, would this be ok? Or would it be better to wear something smarter then get changed into clothes for the physical tests?
    Thanks

• Replies to Abbi>

Hi Abbi,

Best of luck for your RAD on Monday! There is no official dress code, we do encourage smart casual. If you feel comfortable wearing jogging bottoms, a top and trainers then please feel free to wear this to your RAD.

33. Comment by Rebecca posted on

Hiya,

Im doing my RAD this week for a youth custody prison officer role, hoping all goes well and i pass would i be to relocate to a different prison using the same RAD with it being a young offenders prison to an adults prison?

Also my RAD is down london and i live in the north east, ive been advised that ill be to claim back expenses?

Thanks!

• Replies to Rebecca>

Hi Rebecca,

Best of luck for your RAD! You can transfer your RAD from a youth custody role to an adults prison officer role. Please call the Recruitment Contact Centre on 0845 241 5358 to discuss your application.

Yes, you can claim back expenses. Please call the prison you’ve applied to, as expenses differ for each prison, and they’ll be able to assist you.

34. Comment by Juan posted on

Hi There,

Is there any assessment involved on the familiarisation day? Or just an overall idea of the prison work environment ?

• Replies to Juan>

Hi Juan,

No, there are no assessments at the familiarisation day. The visit allows you to see what it’s like to work in a prison and also to meet prison officers.

35. Comment by dom posted on

I attended my RAD on monday and was not passed to do the pyhsical part due to an injury. If I pass everything else will I be able to take the fitness at a later date? is there a specific time limit i have to do it in ?

• Replies to dom>

Hi Dom,

Yes, as per the blog post you’ll be able to retake your fitness test a total of 3 times as long as you’ve passed all the other tests at RAD. Your fitness is valid for 12 months and still needs to be in date once you’ve completed your 12 weeks POELT training.

36. Comment by Laura posted on

Hi!

How many people are invited to a familiarisation day? and what can you expect from this day?

Thank you!

• Replies to Laura>

Hi Laura,

The number of people attending a familiarisation day depends on the prison you’ve applied to. They’re organised for you to see what it's like to work in a prison and also gives you the chance to meet prison officers.

37. Comment by Mariah posted on

Hi I’m 17 years old and I passed my online application I’m just wondering if I can attend my RAD or do I have to wait till I’m 18 to book my RAD ?

• Replies to Mariah>

Hi Mariah,

Please ring the SSCL Recruitment Contact Centre on 0845 241 5358 to discuss your query as they’ll be able to help you.

38. Comment by Michael Ellis posted on

Hi I’ve passed my rad, been provisionally offered a job and accepted, my application stays now says
    We shall be in contact with you shortly to let you know the next stage of the recruitment process.
    Yesterday it said I was in pre employment checks not sure what this now means

• Replies to Michael Ellis>

Hi Michael,

Congrats on passing your RAD! You’ll be able to tell if you’ve passed vetting by logging into the online applicant portal and seeing if your status has been updated to say that your pre-employment checks have been successfully completed. Please keep an eye out for any communications from HMPPS, who will be in touch with you to discuss next steps.

• Replies to Helena>

Comment by Michael Ellis posted on

Thanks Helena my clearance has now come back and I’ve accepted and offer, are the terms and conditions sent via email or in post

• Replies to Michael Ellis>

Hi Michael,

Contracts are emailed out and you’ll be asked to accept via email.

39. Comment by D posted on

Hi I have an email today I failed my RAD. I passed everything but was unable to take my fitness test on the day. What happens next

• Replies to D>

Hi Dom,

As per the blog post, you’re able to retake your fitness up to 3 times if you passed everything else. You’ll be contacted by HMPPS to complete your fitness test so please keep an eye on both your applicant portal and emails.

40. Comment by Lee posted on

Hi, I passed my RAD August last year. In January I got passed fit to work by OH assist but I’ve had no provisional job offer and when I call recruitment they say I’m still on the merit list. So my question is, what stage am I upto and is this a common process?

41. Comment by Sophie posted on

Hello,
    I passed my RAD day and have now been placed on a merit list. I was told at my RAD day to order my uniform as soon as I found out I passed. However, because I am on a merit list I’m not sure if I need to do this?
    Thanks, Sophie

• Replies to Sophie>

Hi Sophie,

No need to order your uniform yet, once HMPPS have offered you a position they’ll send you all the information you need to know including how to order your uniform.

42. Comment by Ciaran posted on

Hi, next week I am attending a RAD for an application to a prison, however I am also intending to apply for another prison if they open up for any applications soon. If I pass this RAD, would I be able be to then apply to this other prison on the back of this RAD.

43. Comment by Ann Marie Charles posted on

If I fail the online test can I resit this test again

• Replies to Ann Marie Charles>

Hi Ann,

You’re unable to retake the online test for that particular prison. You can apply to other prisons or wait until the campaign of your original prison closes and reopens at a later date.

44. Comment by Claire Allday posted on

I had my RAD on 21st April at 8am in Rugby and had to stay over and travel up from Teesside as it was the closest available assessment to me. I was wondering how long the expenses take to come through?

• Replies to Claire Allday>

Hi Claire,

Please ring the prison you’ve applied to and they’ll be able to help you as it differs for each prison.

45. Comment by James posted on

Hi,

I am going to be taking a RAD soon. have read online that you can take a calculator into the maths but I have emailed Have had 2 replies one said yes and the other no So can you tell me which is correct,

many thanks.

- James

• Replies to James>

Hi James,

You’ll be able to bring a calculator into the maths test with you.

46. Comment by Debi posted on

Hi. I've been invited for a RAD, but it's in Warickshire. Are there any other locations? I'm in Yorkshire but it's the only centre they have offered.

Thanks

47. Comment by Dean posted on

Hi, I just found out I’ve passed my RAD yesterday.
    I’m a bit confused about my uniform ordering. It stated at RAD yesterday to order as soon as we find out we’ve passed. However, the form is asking for start date etc and I don’t know this. Can you shed any light please?
    Thanks

• Replies to Dean>

Hi Dean,

Congrats on passing your RAD! It’s fine to leave that part blank for now. I’d encourage you to keep hold of your uniform form until you’ve received a provisional job offer on WCN. Your start date won’t be agreed until you’ve completed your vetting (pre-employment checks).

48. Comment by Rebecca posted on

Hi.

I've recently completed the RAD for adult prisons, and even though I have passed, I've received correspondence that says I haven't been placed even though I was a strong candidate due to the high amount of applicants, and am now on a reserve list.

I've now applied for a position for a young offenders prison, and been invited for another RAD. I understand that there are more role plays, but would I have to complete the medical and fitness again? As I passed these two weeks ago on the adult RAD.

Thank you.

• Replies to Rebecca>

Hi Rebecca,

You can transfer your RAD from your adult prison to your youth offender establishment, then you’ll just need to complete the extra role plays. If you’d rather not transfer your RAD, you’ll need to do the full medical and fitness tests again. Please review the above blog post.

I hope that’s helpful.

49. Comment by Stuart posted on

This vacancy attracted a number of highly qualified applicants and after careful consideration of all of the applications we are sorry to tell you that you have not been selected for appointment.

However, as you were a strong candidate we would like to keep your name on a reserve list. This list will be valid for 12 months from the date of this correspondence and if another vacancy arises for the same position we will contact you.

When is the last RAD for the jobs available at Holme House? Does the above mean the RAD process has finished and I wasn't successful or the RAD process is still ongoing and all applicants have had this sent to their portal?